The Toronto Symphony Orchestra (TSO) is inviting applications for the position of the RBC Resident Conductor to begin during the 2014-15 season. The RBC Resident Conductor will work closely with Music Director Peter Oundjian and the artistic staff and the musicians of the TSO. This two-year position includes significant podium time by combining the responsibilities of conducting select TSO concerts and rehearsals and covering assigned TSO concerts and rehearsals. In addition, critical training and active involvement in programme planning, orchestra operations, recordings/tours, marketing, public relations, education and development activities will be provided to the RBC Resident Conductor to enhance understanding of a professional orchestra. The RBC Resident Conductor will also have a role in promoting and representing the work of the TSO. Based on availability, Sir Andrew Davis (TSO Conductor Laureate), Steven Reineke (TSO Principal Pops Conductor) and other guest conductors will be made available to the RBC Resident Conductor for consultation and discussion. While no age requirement is mandated, it is expected that this position will be filled by a conductor continuing to develop his/her skills, but who has already demonstrated substantial accomplishment in the orchestral world. For detailed information and history on the TSO visit tso.ca
- All applicants for the position of TSO RBC Resident Conductor must be Canadian citizens or Landed Immigrants.
- The TSO RBC Resident Conductor is expected to reside in Toronto or environs during the concert season throughout the term of the appointment.
- Candidates should have an advanced musical degree or equivalent with an exceptional level of aural skill.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability and desire to connect with audiences to speak for the music and the orchestra are expected.
- Candidates should have experience working with professional orchestras. Demonstrated rehearsal skills, advanced knowledge of orchestral repertoire with a working knowledge of Canadian and international contemporary orchestral repertoire is essential.
NOTE: The search committee will receive all applications for the position in confidence.
- The search committee will include Music Director Peter Oundjian, representatives of the orchestra, and artistic staff.
- The applications must be submitted no later than: Thursday, September 4, 2014 at 5pm.
- Candidates who are selected as finalists will be notified by Friday, September 26, 2014 and given the repertoire list and details for the final auditions.
- Live auditions and interviews for finalists will take place on Monday, October 27, 2014 with the TSO on-stage at Roy Thomson Hall (exact times TBA).
- The audition process will include on-stage rehearsal time, an interview process and a written exercise.
Terms of contract:
- January 2015 through June 2017. The successful candidate will make best efforts to accept a conducting engagement with the TSO the week of January 26, 2015 and the weekend of February 6, 2015.
- Compensation will be discussed at the time the position is offered
About the RBC Emerging Artist Program
The RBC Resident Conductor position is funded in part by the RBC Emerging Artist Project. RBC funds programmes including the TSO’s RBC Affiliate Composer and RBC Resident Conductor, the RBC Canadian Painting Competition and the RBC Emerging Filmmakers Competition. Royal Bank of Canada is Canada's largest bank and one of the largest banks in the world, based on market capitalization. They employ approximately 79,000 full and part-time employees who serve more than 15 million personal, business, public sector and institutional clients through offices in Canada, the U.S. and 44 other countries.
Labels: conductor, Jobs, Toronto symphony Orchestra